View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

From the perspective of a first year offical

AK ref SE, You are exactly correct. You never know how you are going to react until the first time you have to put air into your Fox 40. Having played and been around the game for so long I thought it would not be that hard to make the switch to officiating.

First game, first quarter (FRSH girls) I was gripping (wet palms, mouth so dry the whistle was stuck to my mouth) and a player DD right in front of me. First, I throw my fist in the air, then blew and signaled traveling, then changed my signal to DD. The coaches, fans (parents), and everybody was on me. Fortunately I was working with a great vet and mentor. Next dead ball he came over to me and said "What the heck did you have down there? You gave me three different calls, I didn't know what was going on." Then he explained what he saw, what I should have done, and then said "Just settle down take your time and keep it simple."

What I'm saying is that your vets have to work to cultivate the FNG (thanks Sarg) into a competent offical. I know the ego comes into play from some of the vetern officals. I've had a few vets roll their eyes when I tell them this is my first year. But, I also tell them I defer to their experience and ask them to evaluate my performance at half time and post game. This seems to get them in the "mentor state-of-mind" and I have received a lot of good advice.

Also. Give your new guys FRSH and AT MOST a few JV games until they get comfortable with wearing the stripes. Nothing destroys confidence more than being in over your head. Team them up with good mentor type vets who have the patience to work with the newbie.

Bottom line is, Mentoring is the key to keeping new officals