Thread: Got to vent.
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Just curious... other than the first game of the season in a local league that has squirrelly rules that have to be explained... and other than that once-per-season odd ground rule (if that often)

Has any coach ever learned anything from an umpire at the plate conference? Has any umpire ever learned anything useful from a coach (other than ... "OK, now I know which coach is going to be a problem today" )?

The conference is for the exchanging of lineup cards and (rarely) the discussion of any weird ground rules. Everything else is fluff.
In our area, when two HS teams from different conferences play each other, the conference rules from the home team's conference regarding the 10-run rule and ITB apply. When I remind the two coaches whether or not we're using the 10-run rule and ITB, I sometimes get a puzzled look from the visiting team's coach whose conference rules are different. Some of these coaches just don't do their homework.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker