View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling View Post
I had the need to look up something regarding abandonment and got out the BRD (2014 edition).

Play 263-451 on p.270.

It's an OBR example and says the following:

R1, R3, 1 out, 2-2, top of ninth. B1 hits weakly to the second baseman, who swipes at R1, then throws to first in time for what he thinks is an inning-ending double play. R3, running on contact, touches the plate before the "tag" of R1. The umpire calls R1 safe, but the runner, thinking he is out, heads for his position in center field. Now the umpire calls out R1. Ruling: R1 is out for abandonment. That out should be signaled by the umpire, who will also score the run. But if the defense appeals, the out at second becomes a force out, and the run will not count.

I assume the appeal is that R1 "missed" 2nd base. But, that would not be a force play because the batter-runner was put out at 1st. That removes the force. Now it's a timing play. The run should count.

Am I missing something?
I have argued ad nauseam elsewhere that this appeal is not a valid appeal. There was no appealable infraction; you can't miss a base you never reached.