Thread: Got to vent.
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 02:29pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I looked up the rule: (from the definition of conference)
ART. 2 . . . Pregame Conference. A pregame conference is a meeting involving
the umpires and head coaches near home plate. (4-1-2). Team captains may
also attend.
I guess you could use that rule definition to go the way you're saying Manny...
Again, I never said I would not allow assistant coaches to attend, and I felt there was no rule against it, your quote notwithstanding. I just feel that if they are compelled to do so, they should be there in listening mode only out of courtesy. And if I were an assistant coach for my daughter's team, I wouldn't bother attending because I have plenty of other things to do while that conference is going on. If she and the team captains cannot convey to the rest of the team what was said, they need more instruction on why they go to the plate conference.

BTW, this is from the 2010-2011 NFHS Softball Umpires Manual:

Pregame Conference with Head Coaches
1. The Plate Umpire (P) should be positioned behind home plate facing the outfield with each team’s head coaches on each side of home plate. The base umpire(s) (B) will be opposite the plate umpire facing the backstop. Team captains and assistant coaches may also attend the pregame conference.

So at least the old Umpires Manual says it's okay for them to attend. I assume that hasn't been changed in the 2014-2015 version.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker