View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
You guys should see the test we take for Volleyball here in New York (Like softball, NYS volleyball does NOT subscribe to NFHS, but uses NCAA rules with modifications.) - holy moly is it a bunch of confusion. Its open book, but volleyball rules are such a quagmire of protocol and technicalities, it takes a group of four or five of us to go through the ting - and we still miss stuff, and it gets corrected to 100 at our meeting....

I hope he shows up for this, but poster EsqUmp is the person who writes the NYS softball test, and he does a fine job. There are very few questions that you need to really try and decipher, and they are - shockingly - all related to things you might actually encounter in a game. If you know your stuff, even with being careful, it takes you about 25-30 minutes to take a 100 question test.

As a side note, EsqUmp also does the NYS Manual. Since we use modified ASA rules, our state group thought it would be a good idea to actually publish a manual of our own, for local groups to print and distribute if they want. Our group makes it up as a spiral notebook, and it is quite handy to have. It has really nice graphics which do a 1000% better job of showing everything than does the old fashioned version we see in the ASA manual.
I agree, it is a nice book, but it's a modified baseball mechanics manual.

And they are ok mechanics, just different. I'm at a loss as to why the whole world uses one set of mechanics, and NYS uses another!

Although , I was told as long as both umpires agree, you can do whatever you want.

Last edited by PATRICK; Sun Mar 30, 2014 at 01:30pm.