View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Big Sarge- I understand what you are saying about personalities! I think that most of us(Okay I will speak for myself) I did not just wake up one morning and say "I want to be an official" I had an interest and I am so thankful for my first experience. Until you actually get on the floor, you don't know how you will react. My very first H.S. Freshman game. I reffed with a Varsity official.
I was the lead.... a player got flattened to the ground..... I froze(actually everyone on the entire gym stopped) My partner yelled out to me " Do you have anything" I had this dumb look and said know "No" He said "okay lets keep playing" Halftime conversation. I was shaking my head and told him I'm a terrible official and I blew that call. His response was "If you keep with it, you'll blow hundred, maybe a thousand more calls, get over it and go on".
We need to mentor, train and welcome people into the officiating world. If someone is afraid of the new guy/gal, it may be time to evaluate ones own abilities!

AK ref SE