View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Contact Deadball Technical Foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I haven't seen either situation personally, but was notified by fellow officials of two situations for which we can hopefully obtain video clips.

1. NCAA game Tenn vs Iowa: FT situation rebounding foul. Arm to the chin deemed a dead ball contact tech.

Sorry that I don't have more info, such as times during the games. Perhaps someone else can provide.
At 15:48 of the 2nd half, Iowa #15 shoots his last FT.

While the ball is in the air, Tenn #5's elbow hits Iowa #34 in the neck and moves up under the chin. Then the ball passes through the net for a scored FT.

The crew goes to the monitor. They penalize Tenn #5 with a Contact Deadball Technical Foul. A different Iowa player shot the 2 FTs. Iowa was given back the ball at the division line opposite the benches.

Unfortunately, I believe the crew adjudicated this incorrectly.

Tenn #5 should have been penalized with a F1 (since the ball was live during the shot FT). Iowa #34 should have shot the 2 FTs. The ball should have been inbounded by Iowa at the end line underneath the basket.

It'll be interesting to see if the crew advances to the Sweet 16 round next week despite this error.