View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I am having a disagreement with others over the interpretation of a rule. Part of my position is based on explanatory text that has gone away. My question to you: “is that text still valid for interpretation?

At issue is ASA 8.7.S, or NFHS 8.6.20, or USSSA 9.18.K, all of which equally state that a runner is out if they are off the base when the pitch is released. Now there are some subtle differences here, so read carefully.

ASA, going back to ’92, has used the words “fails to maintain contact.” NFHS, in the re-write of Rule 8 last year now uses the same words. That would indicate that the runner reached the base, and then left it (prior to the pitch).

Old NFHS, and current Utrip use the words “not in contact” with the base. Not in contact could mean that the runner left early – or did not get back before the pitch was released. Following the rule is the text “However, if the pitcher does not allow sufficient time for a runner to return to base, the runner shall not be called out for being off the base before the pitcher releases the ball. The runner may advance as though the base was left legally.”

That text was never in ASA, and now has been removed from NFHS. Utrip rules, basically a copy of NFHS circa 2001, still have it. (Which is fine for me because Utrip governs the National Qualifying tournament I am working this weekend.)

Outside of Utrip, how do we handle the following situation in ASA or NFHS. R1 comes off 2B on the first pitch to the batter. Ball is returned to F1. F1 looks at R1, who hesitates, then starts slowly to return to 2B. Verrry slooowly. Pitcher knows that R1 is committed to keep going to 2B (Look Back Rule); decides that she have given R1 enough time, and steps on the plate to begin to pitch.

Now the argument. The other side says that umpire is required to prevent the pitcher from pitching – until the runner reaches the base. I say the pitcher can pitch; and if the runner fails to be in contact with the base when the pitch is released, then we have a judgment call by the umpire. If he feels that F1 gave R1 enough time to return, he will call R1 out; if he feels that R1 did not have enough time to return he has no call.

How do you see it?

Before you answer, consider a couple things. If the umpire holds up pitching, then the snail of a runner is violating the spirit, though not the letter, of the LB law. She is now holding the umpire hostage to her delaying tactics, where it used to be (pre-LB era) the catcher or pitcher were involved in the delay. 2nd point is that current ASA and NFHS rules do not specifically address this issue. I am not sure my 3rd point is relevant, but keep in mind that the LB rule is not terminated until the pitcher releases the pitch. So if R1 was still advancing towards 2B while F1 is starting her pitching motion, R1 would not be in violation of the LB rule.

WMB
ASA 8.8.J THE RUNNER IS NOT OUT:

J. When the runner is not given sufficient time to return to a base. The runner will not be called out for being off the base before the pitcher releases the ball. "No pitch" will be called by the umpire."

Now comes the problem. There is no defined speed, nor even the suggestion of such, in which the runner is required to return to any base. Therefore, preventive umpiring would dictate that you wait for the runner.