View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 18, 2014, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=More Cowbell;926817]It's been a few years but I still love this site, and I come with a question.

AAA Little League (10-11 year olds), 5th run in the inning scores as trail runner reaches third base. Everyone on both teams starts to run in towards the dugouts thinking the "5 Run Max" rule was in effect, not realizing in the last two innings you can bat the lineup. Coaches were out of dugouts trying to get players attention and send them back out.

Umpire (one man crew) runs down third base line and does a "circly" motion with his hand which looked like it was a "change sides" motion--sort of like a home run signal. He said he was verbalizing (and motioning) to both sides that we needed to bat the lineup. After the instruction from the ump, the defense threw to third and tagged out the runner who had started toward his dugout.

So...does his communication to the teams constitute "time out?" It was clear that both teams thought one rule was in effect when in fact it wasn't. It was pretty chaotic with players, parents, and coaches yelling, "We are still batting, get back out there" or "We are still on the field, get out there."

The actual 5 run rule for Little League is that the inning ends with 3 outs or 5 runs scored, whichever comes first. Only in the 6th inning can more runs be scored. If a time limit shortens the game, there is no "unlimited run inning" unless it is the 6th inning. There are no local rules that can change this.