View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 10:59pm
Administrator

Ladies and gentlemen! Why do so many of you want to go picking boogers and looking for problems where non exist.

I have officiated H.S. and college basketball for 44 years and H.S. soccer for 13 years, and umpired H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball umpire for 22 years.

I have been a basketball interpreter and instruction chairman and I have always taught new officials that are to ignore fans 99.999,999% of the time. The only time officials need to concern themselves with a fan's conduct is when a fan comes out onto the court or playing field, the fan physically attacks a participant, coach, or game official, or the fan threatens a participant, coach, or game official with physical violence.

I do not care that the parent (who is only a fan) is telling his child (or his child's teammates) what the catcher is doing. It is not the official's concern. That parent/fan paid his money and if he wants to shout instructions to his child or his child's teammates, that is his right.

An official who attempts to quiet a parent/fan will find no rules support. Game officials have more important things to concern himself with that parents/fans that are yelling instructions to their children.

With apologies to Nike: JUST DON'T DO IT!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio