View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldiver View Post
I had a situation come up in a game last week, and can't get a straight answer as to the proper call from anyone in my assn. One will say it's correct, then others say not so much. Could I please get an assist from some of the vets on this forum?

The situation: Runners on second and third, one out. Batter hits a grounder to short, who fields the ball and starts to throw to first. She sees the runner on third break for home, and throws the ball to the catcher. The runner on third gets in a run-down. The runner on second breaks for third and reaches the base, stands on it for a moment, then thinks better of it (I'm assuming because of the pickle the lead runner is in) and retreats back to second. She did not pass third, only stood on it for a moment. The run down continued until the lead runner was tagged out diving back to third.

The coach came out to question me, saying she had no problem with the tag, but said since the runner from second "established" herself on third, that meant the lead runner HAD to try to score and could not return to third. She insisted in a previous game just that week, the same situation happened, and blue told her the lead runner was obligated to try to score. (I'm not sure why she complained as her team got the out, but I think she wanted me to call both runners out).
That is that most hated umpire, "the other guy"

Quote:

I have asked others, and for the most part, everyone agrees with me that the runner from second could return to her base, even after touching third. But I've had a few say no. One said it clearly states in the rules book that a runner cannot "run the bases in reverse"....I tried to explain she was not running in reverse, but merely returning to her base.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I might have missed an interpretation or something.

Thank you
Speaking ASA, NFHS, ISF, probably NCAA

There is no rule which prohibits a runner from returning to a base or running them in reverse order unless the umpire deems that the runner's actions were meant to make a travesty of the game. All other rules involving touching the bases in proper order, not passing, etc. are still in effect.

Also, a base always belongs to the runner who the lead runner who has not yet reached the next base. You could have three runners between home and 3B and the lead runner still owns the base. Yes, extreme, but gets the point across, hopefully.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Mar 16, 2014 at 01:55pm.