View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldiver View Post
The coach came out to question me, saying she had no problem with the tag, but said since the runner from second "established" herself on third, that meant the lead runner HAD to try to score and could not return to third.
Well, coaches argue about goofy non-existent rules on a regular basis...

Quote:
She insisted in a previous game just that week, the same situation happened, and blue told her the lead runner was obligated to try to score.
Unfortunately, some umpires will try to enforce a goofy non-existent rule from time-to-time...

Quote:
I have asked others, and for the most part, everyone agrees with me that the runner from second could return to her base, even after touching third.
You're getting some good advice from some of your friends!

Quote:
IOne said it clearly states in the rules book that a runner cannot "run the bases in reverse"
He clearly didn't read the whole rule and clearly doesn't understand its interpretation.

Just think if this was true. No runner could ever go back to tag up if they left base on a caught fly ball, or missed a base. And, all rundowns would be illegal!

The rule says that runners can't run the bases in reverse order to purposely confuse the defense or to make a travesty of the game. There are plenty of times when runners have to "backtrack" on the basepaths and it's perfectly legal. Like in your game.