View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Just my impression......you've got yours.

I look for certain things in an umpire that I like to see and consider important. On this particular play I simply did not like the PU's reaction to the play in moving out from the behind HP to (I'm assuming/hoping) the holding area. I like to see a sense of purpose in an umpire's movement on the field.....but that's just me.

You're a long time clinician, trainer, evaluator and national tournament UIC and I'm sure that you look for and pickup on aspects of an umpire's game both positive and negative that you personally consider important when observing umpires on the field.

If I were the guy in the stands with the clipboard doing an eval, realtime and watching everything else on the play I may have never noticed it or considered it an issue. My impression came not just from replaying the video numerous times both in the original thread regarding the ruling, and again in this one regarding mechanics.....it caught my attention the first time i played it. But, that's just my impression.....FWIW.
With the number of runners moving on the hit, I would rather the umpire take the time to focus on the field. I know we have all been reminded about vision and focus when running is not advantageous.

I would be more concerned if the umpire ran out to the holding zone trying to find the ball and watching the runners or watching something other than the approaching runners or, even worse, not getting the mask off. Unfortunately, I've actually seen an umpire move toward a holding zone with the mask still on.

After years of seeing umpires bust their tail to a position, but not be prepared if the defense made a play other than that anticipated, I've come to the conclusion that running is over-rated.

I prefer the umpire be alert to and aware of the progress of the play while moving into position. Mind you, I'm not suggesting the umpire NOT get into position, just temper that movement with the knowledge of what is going on in the field.

As it is in the OP, with multiple runners, I probably wouldn't have even made it to holding zone and retreated once I realized a play was coming to the plate and my partner was in great position to pick-up any optional plays.