View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 10:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I look for certain things in an umpire that I like to see and consider important. On this particular play I simply did not like the PU's reaction to the play in moving out from the behind HP to (I'm assuming/hoping) the holding area. I like to see a sense of purpose in an umpire's movement on the field.....but that's just me.
And this is just me, but I feel umpires should strike a balance between hustling to get into positions to make expected calls, and casually moving to preserve stamina when no call is likely, particularly when conditions dictate, like in the Arizona heat.

Considering where the ball was hit--in right center to the fence--the PU had no real reason to move out with any urgency. The likely plays here would either be at home on R2, or on the BR at third base. Why should the PU hustle into the HA to watch touches of third, and then hustle back to prepare for the play at home?

Young pups love to bust everywhere on the field. That gets old fast as we get older.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker