View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wadep1965 Send a message via Yahoo to wadep1965
You said: "Coach B tells B6 (who has reported to enter the game for B2) to enter for B1. The official scorer tells me that B6 has reported for B2. I tell the coach that B6 has reported for B2 and cannot replace B1."

I've been refereeing high school basketball for 12 years, and this caught me by surprise. Have I been in a dungeon for 12 years?? I can't remember ever hearing that once a substitute reported to the table that he was REQUIRED to report for ONLY the one player he/she may have mentioned when reporting. Does the rulebook specifically say that they have to announce who they are substituting for? If so, does the coach not have the right to change his mind/strategy after said announcement? That's the first thing that I'm concerned with here. Read on...

You write: "I know a player can be called back from the table during a live ball or during a dead ball when he hasn't reported legally before a warning horn, but can he legally be called back when it comes time to enter the game on a dead ball after he has reported properly?"

My reply?? Why not?? Where does it say in the rule book that the coach HAS TO substitute for specific players? Under your scenario, again, a coach could not change his/her mind at this point. What would happen if substitute A3 were to go to the table, report for A1 (accidentally), and then go into the game. As A1 is walking toward the bench, the coach catches this and says, "You're not supposed to come out, A5 is." Under the scenario described above (in your situation), would you have required A1 to leave the game since that is what the scorer reported that A3 said? I'm certain that this would create more problems than any official would want to handle in a game.

I can't think of an instance when a scorer had to call me over when a sub entered for someone other than who he/she reported for. In fact, I can't recall when I've actually heard of a sub specifically designating who he/she is replacing. They usually just report as a sub, and when called into the game, they pull out who they are replacing. The scorer doesn't even get involved in the process.

Maybe we've been doing it wrong here in LA, who knows?? I'd be interested in reading replies to your query, though! Have a great season.....I hope you don't have many more like last night .