Thread: ASA mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

This info was passed on to me by an ump who went to the advance school this year and just thought I would pass it on

Fellow "Blues",

Below is a quick summary of the information and latest mechanics as taught at the 2003 ASA
Fastpitch Advanced Camp...

For base mechanics they want us to use 6 words... "Off", "Tag", "Ball, "No" then "Safe" or Sell
Safe and "Out" or Sell Out as appropriate...

For a pulled foot... Point with left hand, then "OFF" then "SAFE" - replaces "off the bag" and
waiving the 2 arm signal, etc.

For a tag play between bases, etc.... Point with left hand, then "TAG" then "OUT" - replaces "with
the tag", etc.

For a play asking the fielder to show you the ball... Point with left hand, then "BALL", then pause for
the fielder to produce it, then "OUT" (or safe as appropriate) - replaces "show me the ball", etc.

For a missed swipe tag between bases, etc..... Point with left hand, then "NO" then "SAFE" -
replaces "missed the tag", etc.

For check swing mechanics as the plate umpire asks you... Either a "YES" and a routine out
signal, or "NO" and a routine safe signal.

Plate Mechanics for check swings...

For plays when "she went" (not the obvious swings) at the plate.... Point with left hand, then
"SWING", then routine strike signal - replaces "she went", etc.

For plays asking partner on a check swing.... Remove mask, step in appropriate direction, point
with left hand at base umpire, then "SWING"? - replaces "partner, did she go", etc

They emphasized timing and proper delay in using the above mechanics.

They covered a lot of material in terms of pre-game, game management, 3-man mechanics, etc, but
the above will give you a leg up as we approach the tournaments over the next few days and
eventual nationals.

Don