View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 05:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This happened to me one time. I grabbed my stuff and told the admin "good luck" and left. Never looked back, never regretted it.
I was working a HS scrimmage back in the mid-90s when I lived in the south. Essentially a pre-season game with two schools playing each other, I think they called it a jamboree. IIRC, I was in shorts and came dressed -- it was like a camp setting except I didn't pay for the privilege.

The one coach start acting like a complete ass. Finally after I told him once or twice to knock it off, he said, "I don't care if you T me up, none of this counts." I had never considered a technical -- we weren't even keeping score.

At this point I walked over to a chair and started changing my shoes. The coach asked me what I was doing and I told him I was leaving. My partner begged me to stay. I told him if he had any sense, he would leave too. I left.

Our assignor wasn't mad at me -- he was mad at the other guy for staying and he made a point to tell the entire association at the next meeting that there are no technical fouls in scrimmages -- that you were to "put the ball on the table and go to the house" since we were doing them as a service to the local schools and we weren't being paid.