View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sell-out game admin

Men's wreck league (I know, I know, but I wanted to work on stuff for an upcoming camp). For the most part it's a bunch of decent guys who just want to get a sweat on and seem to enjoy it. There are a few former high school hot sh!ts who think they still have game and they think they can dictate to us. We usually hand out some Ts and it settles them down.

Last night was different though. I'm working three games with a newb who also wants to get better. He works part-time at the gym and has some understanding of the league but has some work to do.

First game was a blowout with lots of Ts. Two and half minutes left I hand out a flagrant and decide it's time to end this game. The team up by 50 was still shooting threes and the team that was down was arguing amongst themselves so I felt good about putting an end to it. Second game went OK until the team with hot sh!ts tightens up because they're losing to a bunch of scrubs. OOB call, ball gets kicked toward my partner and he T's the guy. Later another OOB, this time a player who also works part-time at the gym throws the ball against the wall. My partner Ts him.

Game finally ends and we're waiting for the third game to start. My partner and I are opposite the table and benches and the guy who threw the ball against the wall approaches and says to my P "Are you talking about me? Say it to my face, homie. Don't talk your sh!t unless you say it to my face."
I tell him "Get outta here. There's nothing to talk about."
"I'm not talking to you, homie. I'm talking to him."
"Keep walking, there's nothing for you to say."
He goes off saying that I need to mind my own business and all the typical B.S. Now I raise my voice and repeat that he's got to get out of our faces and leave. We go back and forth. The manager of the gym, who's also an official, was by the table and I yell across the floor "XXX, he's gotta go. He needs to leave." XXX walks over, doesn't say a word, lets the kid continue. I've had enough and walk away while the kid rips into my P. XXX continues his discussion with the kid, presumably as a manager talking to an employee.

When they separate I let XXX know that I didn't appreciate how he handled the situation. His response was to let me know that he'll decide how handle things, that it's his gym, etc. "If you don't like it, don't work in this gym anymore."
"That's how you want to handle this? I can't tell you man to man that I think you didn't handle this right?"
"You need to dial it back and let me do my job. You escalated that situation by yelling at YYY. All I hear is you yelling and then calling me from across the court. You didn't need to do that."
"The kid wouldn't get out of our faces."
"I'll handle it how I want to. This is my gym."
"When I'm on the court I don't have the authority to get someone out of the gym?"
"They pay to play in this league. They pay my salary and yours."
Clearly I've got nothing left to say and walk away. Shoulda known better. The third game was a forfeit, by the way. One team didn't show up.
Ugh.