View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Where's Snaqwells when you need him?

I work with one guy about once a year who has this huge spiel at the captain's meeting. I finally figured out how to handle it -- I shake the captain's hands and when he says his first word, I back out and stand on the sideline opposite the table and don't even hear the rest.

(Let's just say the tone is somewhere between condescending and patronizing and he always asks girls what the most important thing is at the end and the only correct answer is "To have fun." Puke. I don't need to hear that.)

My captains' meeting is between 8-10 seconds long and my greeting of the coach is exactly what I posted above (provided the coach's name is Jim -- if not, I have to change that one word).

We're in the post-season now and I don't change a thing this time of the year -- we start getting captains at 12:00 and I'm usually at the table by 11:15, including all the handshakes and introductions. The players want to warm up. The coaches want to do their jobs. Why do we want to spend a lot of time interrupting them?
My captains' meeting might last 20 seconds. At the end, I remind coaches to let us know if they want a 30-second or full timeout. We shake the coaches' hands at the end of the meeting and go on our way. I rarely, if ever, have problems doing it that way.

I get very uncomfortable when partners who are the R go on and on in the captains' meeting. It honestly makes me want to crawl in a hole. The players know which line is the OOB line, they know we will "Try to talk em' out of stuff", they know to "Play defense with your feet"....and on and on. If they don't know this stuff, it isn't going to do them any good now that it's almost March.