View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Working my only JV boys game this season as the season ends this week. Coach is a little chirpy right off the get go and I quickly put a stop to it, but he doesn't heed my advice.

After a fast break situation in the 2Q in which I was lead on a fast break his team missed a goal on a 2-1 situation. Any contact on the play was minor and didn't affect the shot. Nothing even close to a foul. Head back up the court as the new trail and I'm in front of his bench "No foul on the play?" I shook my head and stated no and he then yells "You've got to be kidding me!"

Well there's #1 and after issuing it he stands there dumbfounded as to why he got it. He continues to stand and after the FTs I tell him he's lost his box. More look of confusion until the kids on the bench tell him he needs to sit down for the rest of the game....lol...players on the bench knew the rule better than he did.

2nd half rolls around and he periodically is chirping for calls, especially 3 in the key Partner on two occasions told him we'd look for it, but they aren't even close to 3 in the key. After a long possession with multiple shots for the visiting team I'm running by his bench and he again is chirping for it, but this time decides to yell 'Are you guys even looking at the key?!'

Easy #2 followed by the 'what'd I say?!" as partner tells him he needs to go. Game finishes without incident.

Other pearls of wisdom...at halftime as we are getting our coats he wants to talk. I'm really not in the mood, but I at least listen to him as I'm walking to the table. "I've only gotten 2 Ts in my life and that was the fastest one ever" "Coach, you're not going to talk to me like that and that's why you got the T." followed by "Didn't I deserve a warning first?" and then finally "Aren't you going to talk to me about it"

"No" was the only response as I head to the locker room....

Only my 2nd and 3rd Ts on the year and first (and 2nd) to a coach. I jinxed myself before the game as I was talking to my partner in pregame stating that I didn't expect any problems in the game as I haven't had many this year and the season is almost over. So that part is on me
Assuming this means you work mostly V contests he was probably not ready for an experienced official/crew. We all have our own line, and you certainly gave him an opportunity to experience yours. Sub-varsity level officials sometimes allow to much of this kind of behavior IMO, because they think they have to for advancement. I would offer 90% of the technicals V coaches get they know are coming. Doesn't mean they will like it, but know its coming. General seperations from JV/V is pick a nit rule knowledge, proper game management, good solide mechcanics. JMO

-General George S. Patton, Jr.