Thread: 2-30
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
1. True
2. In this case the SS is an Outfielder and not an Infielder.
But not by the Fed's definition of infielder. The wording is goofy and yes, sometimes we just need to umpire.

Facts I believe we all agree upon:

In spite of the wording, ASA & NFHS infield fly rulings and application to the player's position are relatively the same.

An outfielder is one who does not meet the qualification of an infielder at the time of the pitch.

An infielder is someone in the infield area at the time of the pitch, not someone who can simply get there quick enough to make a catch.

An infield fly is ruled by the umpire when it is determined the batted ball which qualifies as one to which the IFR can be applied can be caught with ordinary/normal effort by any player which qualified as an infielder at the time of the pitch.

Are we all on the same page so far? Now, to my statement concerning the OP. It is stated that the ball WILL be caught by an outfielder. Not may be or could be, I'm well aware that a ball ruled an IF may end up being caught by an OF. But the possibility of an infielder catching this ball has, IMO, already been precluded by the matter-of-fact statement that it WILL be caught by an outfielder. So, if the umpire has already determined that, how can s/he possible rule an infield fly?