View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I think that calling a foul for this action during a loose ball in a boys game is being too picky. I also agree with the poster who noted that the T was in a spot from which he couldn't really observe the action. I call this straight-lined or having a closed look.
I agree with the closed look - kind of - but I can't agree with "being too picky" on the contact. If they were in equally advantageous positions to start with fine, but B11 came from behind and through W12 and displaced him. That's a foul, boys' or girls' game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Those who want a foul for the player knocking the defender's hand away are crazy. That doesn't make any sense. If you are going to allow a defender to put his hand on an opponent continuously, without penalty, then you better not penalize the player when he pushes it away. Again this situation falls into the how picky do you want to be category. If you whistle anything here, you better penalize the first illegal contact not just the response..
It's not crazy based on what we can see. As has been mentioned we don't know whether W12 held B11's jersey but one thing we can see is W12 didn't have continuous contact with B11 at the moment B11 swipes his arm away. W12 had just contacted B11 with his hand and the contact doesn't appear to be inhibiting B11's freedom of movement. The first illegal contact - that we can see - would be B11 swiping W12's arm away, followed by B11's clamp on W12's arm, then the take down.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Feb 26, 2014 at 10:03am.