View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
$375? This is for a camp to get HS games, or a camp where the teams are HS teams? There are D2 camps that cost less than this. No way I would ever pay that much money to get HS games.
It has nothing to do with *getting* games. The clinicians are top notch officials, some of whom work D1, all of whom work college schedules. It's 3 days of basketball where you work 26 halves of games, get 2 nights lodging, and about 8-10 meals in a university cafeteria. Although I've passed on the lodging and have stayed at a hotel -- my dorm days are long behind me.

One can argue that it does get you a certain amount of exposure or that you may get (as a result of meeting people) some HS games that wouldn't come your way otherwise. But the main reason I go is because it is a camp that makes me a better official and provides me with enough hoops over a weekend to put little things in practice. And I can deduct every penny from my income taxes.

Of course to some it's all about how much money it costs and how many games you get from it. Thankfully, those aren't the people that come.