View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to whitecane12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Whitscane12 says: "Obviously those rules being quoted aren't the Little League rules which is what I and the coaches in the league I umpire in must go by. What rule book are those rules from?"

LL uses OBR with some minor modifications. The rules referenced are OBR, which in this case are worded slightly differently than LL but have the same meaning.

OBR 7.08 Any runner is out when_ e) He fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

LL 7.08 Any runner is out when - e) failing to reach the next base before a fielder tags said runner or the base after that runner has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

AND - in 6.05 LL combines OBR 6.05 b & c into one rule, resulting in being "off" by one letter but the wording is again virtually the same.

OBR 6.05 A batter is out when_ j) After a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base;

LL A batter is out when - i) after hitting a fair ball, the batter-runner or first base is tagged before said batter-runner touches first base; or Junior/Senior/Big League, after a third strike as defined in Rule 6.09(b) the batter-runner or first base is tagged before said batter-runner touches first base;

Thanks, Rich. That was very helpful. I appreciate your insight.
Staff Umpire (#12)
Washington District 1

Need a Fund Raiser?
FREE WEBSITE FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION
http://www.nutritionandkidscd.com