View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So, if the pitcher exceeds two rotations, the pitch is to be called a strike? Or crow hops, it's a strike? Or steps halfway to 1B, it's a strike?
Conceivably, yes. The videos (2 at separate clinics) I saw showed a pitcher misstepping in a way that one would call an ugly crowhop in one case, and in the other showed her misstepping and landing outside the 24 (not "halfway to first" ... but outside the 24 is outside the 24, no matter how far). I honestly can't imagine this occurring in real life and having a picture rotate an extra time.

Seems to me the easier solution, if they want to simply penalize the batter by a strike in almost every case, is to get rid of the "if she stops or hesitates it's a no pitch" part and just simply call it immediately dead if the batter steps out during a delivery and call it a penalty strike. If they are wanting (as clinics and our interpretor say) any missteps by the pitcher to be blamed on the hitter... perhaps they should also blame the pitcher stopping or hesitating on the hitter as well. More consistent.

West Houston Mike