View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2014, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This kind of situation never happened to me. Never had a coach ever make a point to say what happened in a game at that time before the contest. I did everything to be professional but did not know if I should have said other things....
Years ago here in VA, the smaller schools played their girls' games in the fall, and I was in my 4th year of officiating. 4 minutes into the first game of the season I T the coach of the perennially best team in the conference. He was also hands down the worst behaved coach in the conference.

Fast forward to late in the season. His team is still undefeated and I have him at his place. As I'm walking through the hallway he bumps into me and tells me he doesn't understand why I T'd him, and it was the only T he received all season. I respond (maybe not the best response ), "I find that hard to believe".

3rd quarter, his team is up 40 points. His team loses the ball via a scramble and held ball right in front of his bench, and my partner, who is the trail on the play. HC starts b!tching as I come over tableside to administer the throw-in going the other way. Following throw-in, play proceeds into opponents front court where my partner has a whistle for an IF against the offense (involving an elbow). But HC is still b!tching about the previous play and is standing next to the scorer's table, so I hit him with a T. Before I can walk away, he comes closer to halfcourt and starts screaming at me, so I bang him again.

All ejections are reviewed by the commissioner and VHSL (state), and it was upheld. I had his team on my schedule 2 weeks later (with the same partner) and my commissioner chose to keep me on the game. HC may have made one comment to me the entire game. The following season his team won state championship and he took a HC position at a D2 school in West Virginia. He was one of the best coaches I've ever seen at the HS level, but he was a complete a-hole towards officials.

I lot guys in my association patted me on the back for ejecting him, b/c they said a lot of us talked big about handling him, but I was the only officials who actually ever ran him.