Thread: Survey Says ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
2014 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part I – Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory

1. The use of electronic devices is permitted during the game.

Who cares?

2. A single visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches with no dimension more than 2 1/4 inches. The manufacturer's logo may be located no more than 5
inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey, or 2 inches from the neckline on the back of the jersey; or in either side insert.

Who cares?

3. Leg compression sleeve was added to this rule to make its use consistent with the rule for wearing an arm compression sleeve. As with the arm compression sleeve, the leg compression sleeve must be white, beige, black or a single solid school color; must be the same color for each team member; and have only a single manufacturer’s logo. Leg compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.

Let them wear them for whatever reason they want. And get us out of the business of regulating colors of such things. As long as the sleeve is AN approved color, who cares if one is white and another is black?

4. A team shall not use a megaphone or any electronic communication device at courtside, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court.

This is fine. Can't believe it was a problem that needed addressing...

5. A team shall not use electronic audio and /or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.

I don't care that a team does as long as they don't care that they get a technical foul for the trouble.

6. The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.

I'd extend this to assistant coaches, too.

Part II – Observations – Have You Seen In Your Area?

1. Contact on the high screen(s).

No more than usual. Not all contact is a foul, though.

2. Hedging the dribbler – contact in the perimeter off screens/dribble drives.

Not a problem. Sometimes contact isn't a foul.

3. Arm bar in the post by the defender.

Haven't seen any of this.

4. Officials not starting their count initially on closely guarded situations.

I've seen a LOT of this. Not usually from partners, but from JV officials I watch prior to my games.

5. Officials moving too fast once call is made.

Not in the games I work. This is an experience thing, for the most part, not something that could be legislated away.

6. Officials not using proper mechanics.

The NFHS could fix a lot of this by expanding the list of "approved" mechanics.

7. The overuse of many different types of leg compression sleeves.

Who cares?

8. The spin move called as travel.

When it's a travel, I call it as a travel. I've been very aware of the pivot foot on post players this season and have called a fair number of these. Not all of them are travels, though.

Part III – About Rules For 2014-15 – Would You Favor?

1. Allowing participants to wear tights.

I wear tights. Why can't the players?

2. Allowing the use of the "punch" signal for player-control foul as well as team-control foul.

90% of officials use the punch at the spot of the foul. Too much legislation of such things.

3. Changing the number of time-outs to 3-30s and 2-60s.

Go to 1 60 and 4 30s for all I care. Give them a 5th 30 if they complain too much or convert the first 30 of the second half to a 60. Either way, there should be more 30s and fewer 60s.

4. Allowing the 3-point line to be moved out by 2 inches.

They gotta be kidding. Force tens of thousands of schools to reline their gym floors for TWO INCHES? I even consider the difference between NFHS and NCAA to be idiotic.

5. Playing with the 3-foot restricted-area arc to assist with calling block/charge on a secondary defender.

This would be a disaster at lower levels and in many other 2-person games.

6. Allowing the use of a shot clock as a state adoption option.

Many states already do. The NFHS is late to the table on this one.

7. Allowing the use of 18-minute halves as a state adoption option.

Why 18? Why not 16? Will our game checks be increased by 12.5 % If they do move to halves, give each team an extra 30 or two. No big deal.

8. Adding more signals to the “signal chart.”

Yes, already. Hit to the head, forearm, etc.

9. Not using the "stop the clock signal" on violations.

I used to care about this, but I really don't anymore. Let's not pretend, though, that the timers are looking at us and that raised hand to stop the clock. They aren't.

10. Clarifying when the clock starts on a missed free throw that hasn't been touched and is rolling on the floor.

Does this need clarification?

11. Eliminating the opportunity for the head coach to call time-out. It would have to come from a player on the playing court.

Why, to benefit officials who aren't situationally aware? We don't need to change a thing here.

12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.

Yes. I wonder how many officials are actually bothering asking the question.

13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.

Another one I've worked both ways in HS games. Never had a problem with the "enter on the release" as long as officials are willing to call fouls to clean up the rebounding. Many weren't.

14. Clarifying language on what announcers can announce during the contest.

Leave the announcers alone, already.
My thoughts.