Thread: Survey Says ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

I'm just going to pick out the highlights...

4. Allowing the 3-point line to be moved out by 2 inches.
I don't think it's needed. In H.S. kids who can't shoot 3s really don't.

5. Playing with the 3-foot restricted-area arc to assist with calling block/charge on a secondary defender.
No, no, 1,000 times NO!!! I haven't dealt with it yet in an NCAAW game (knock wood) but I think it would be a mess at the H.S. level, especially in states that do 2-person most of the season...such as the two where I work.

6. Allowing the use of a shot clock as a state adoption option.
I can live without it. Roughly 3% of H.S. basketball players go on to play some form of college ball. Putting in a shot-clock really only benefits - for lack of a better word - those kids since they'll use it at the next level. Another observation: It's used in all of my NYC GV games and some of my NYC BV games now. The biggest problem is finding someone to run the thing properly.

12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.
I don't know why NFHS wrings its hands over this. Just follow what the NCAA does and be done with it.

13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.
I agree with Terp. Just make up your minds one way or another and we'll deal. It gets confusing for the GV players in my area since kids in NYC/NYS use the NCAA rule and those in NJ use the NFHS rule. I worked a game in NYC a few weeks ago and the visitor was from NJ. The NJ kids were beaten into the lane on most of the FTs because they kept forgetting they could go in on the release.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)