View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I would say "intentions" come into play when you are calling an "intentional" foul typically. Now I realize an NCAA FF1 is different to an NFHS intentional, so you are probably right as it relates to an NCAA FF1. I'm honestly not aware what all that rule covers. Maybe intentions is a bad term, I'm saying it wasn't reckless, but was just a consequence of a hustle play gone wrong. Whether I should consider that or not may be a good question. The officials here went to replay and called it a FF1, so I'm probably wrong. That's just what I see.

And I'm not saying the momentum excuses the foul at all. In fact I clearly said it was a foul. I'm just saying his momentum took his foot where it wasn't supposed to go vs. him kicking someone. Again I was getting more to the intention aspect of it all. In a HS game do I have rules justification to call that an "intentional" foul? I don't know, I'm asking.
The reason the NCAA went to flagrant 1/2 terminology was precisely because people think that intentional fouls always require intent. That is simply not the case. You can intend to make a basketball play, but in doing so cause excessive contact and still commit an intentional foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.