View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
What I wish I knew then that I know now:
...that video review, study, with honest personal self-assessment and meaningful peer evaluation is the most valuable tool for improvement. Get as many games on video as you can.
For me personally, I wish I knew how important the concept of officiating the defense really is. At the end of last season I had a big, big dawg tell me it was a fundamental flaw in my game. I stewed on that all summer, figured out what he meant and worked on it in camp. I continued to work on it all this season. The court seemingly "opened up" to me. Now it presents a whole different set of improvement to be made that I wish I had worked out back when I was still doing JV games. (Thus the title of the thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Dress professionally when showing up for camps. Don't show up in sweats and t-shirts like you are still a player.
Something that never occurred to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. One is not as good as one thinks.
2. At the HS level, officiating is 99% about people skills and 1% about play calling.
I might be going in the right direction on this. Last year I gave a lot of Ts. This year, not one. That wasn't the result of a conscious effort, I just think folks are better behaved...

I even had one coach say "Ok, thanks." after a couple of travel squawks to which I replied "I hear ya, coach." No more squawks about traveling the rest of the game.

Last edited by Rooster; Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 03:04pm.