View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Girls JV/V doubleheader. In the JV game we had the following:

- Timer not hitting the first horn during timeouts. Had to remind her several times and she finally got it down in the V game.

- They had the arrow set in the wrong direction and didn't tell us until after the wrong team had thrown it in. We left it as is and the "wrong" team kept the ball. (I usually am good at keeping track in my head but we had to use the arrow about 25 times...fun times)

- Team foul count was screwed up. The Visitors had 5 to the Home team's 3 at one point. The Visitors foul and I look up and it's now 5-4. I go to the table to ask and the scorer has it correct but the clock/scoreboard operator had put it up incorrectly. I don't think they were communicating at all.

- She would hit the horn for subs as soon as the whistle blew. I went to the table one time to report and three subs start coming on the court. I wave them back and tell her to wait on us to do what we need to do before hitting the horn. This happened in a game last week at a different school also.

I'm sure there was more but I've tried to put that game out of my memory in the last 12 hours.

Thankfully she got better as the night went on and we didn't have any messes in the Varsity game. I kind of felt bad for her. She told me the normal guy was gone and she had not worked the table in forever. The host school district is kind of notorious for being unorganized and not on top of things, so it didn't surprise me much.
Those that work the table have a tough, thankless job. If I'm the R of a game I always make sure to introduce myself to the table people before the game starts and go over a few basics with them of how we like to work. That way we are least on the same page starting off. But sometimes mistakes are made, even by the best table people. I never, ever get mad at them. If a mistake is made I try to identify when, where and how it happened and simply correct it. To me getting mad at the table when they make an honest mistake serves no purpose.