Thread: Jump Ball
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

If I remember right.....

There used to be several casebook plays covering these different situations-before the AP rule came in and we still actually jumped the tie-ups,starts of quarters,and 5-second calls.Yup,5-second calls were a jump ball at one time,too.Naturally,when the AP rule came in,there was no need to emphasize the different situations that could arise,because they just didn't arise that much anymore with only one jump at the start of the game(excluding o/t).

I think,if I remember right,that the rule-of-thumb was that if you had to re-jump because of a double violation,or a double or simultaneous foul that occured BEFORE the jump ended,then any 2 players could still jump.If there was another jump because of a double violation,or double or simultaneous foul that occured AFTER the jump ended,then the 2 players involved had to jump.The language used to tell what ended a jump-the ball touching the floor,basket or another non-jumper-was still the same as it is now.

As I said,I don't think that the plays are actually covered now,but as Camron intimated,these sitchs don't really occur in real life anymore.I can't remember seeing one,anyway.