Thread: Ejections
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I don't think the rule needs to be over analyzed. It doesn't say, SHALL EJECT, it is simply the foundation that permits umpires TO EJECT.

I MAY eject for
objecting to my calls and/or
unsportmanlike conduct

So if I do toss a player or coach...I point at one of these (which I have done about 10 times in 700 games... yes VERY low percentage). I can't eject for wearing an ugly hat or for bad coaching.

Yes, the rules say the CANNOT object to safe/out, etc. But the do. The test for coaches and the test for umpires (or a major factor in umpire advancement), is how much room you give a coach to object. And are you consistent with what you give..

But think about this. At the higher levels, or skilled experienced coaches, on that OUT call you made at 2nd BANGER.. the coach is out talking to you, and he's not so much "objecting" as to asking about what you saw, and wants a clearer interpretation. IN my experience.. 99.4% of these conversations (and there ain't that many), end peaceably.

Each umpire decides when that coach has crossed the line, then ejects. The best umpires have it just right. Not so good umpires are too fast.... or too slow....

re: the three bears