View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:41am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
I was in a conversation with a coach following a game and he asked about the following situation. Basically, he is coaching a team that is not incredibly talented but they play hard from start to finish.

Situation: During a loose ball, A1 and B1 are running in straight paths. A1 dives for the loose ball, following his straight path, while B1 remains upright in his path. B1 trips over A1 and goes down to the floor.

The coaches complaint is that his player (A1 in the scenario) is often called for the foul and he feels they are being penalized for diving for the ball. If both players had remained upright and collided this would be a no call. My explanation was that in this situation it could be a possible no call if both players truly remain on their path and neither go into the other player's path.

I think the reality is that most of the time the foul will be called on A1 regardless, but why? What verbiage would you use to explain a blocking foul on A1 in this scenario?
f A1 and B1 stayed in their paths, which sound like they run parallel to each other, how did B1 end up falling over A1? Sounds to me like at least one of those players veered off of their path and into the other. The answer to that question will let you know who to call the foul on.