View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I believe the point is that when a player is injured, the parents' first thought, aside from anger, is to submit an insurance claim. When they then think of a windfall, or blame, or are contacted by an ambulance chaser, the first thoughts aren't necessarily to blame the umpires. Very often, law suits or threats of lawsuits start with other parties; and THEIR insurers immediately respond with a "share the blame" response.

In most states, as I understand it, the more parties held even partially accountable limits the liability of the other parties. So, even if the field owner should be primarily liable, their insurer wants anyone/everyone else that may have pockets (or their own insurance) added. In simple terms, if the cost is to be $100,000, they want to add people that may thrown $10,000 at it to make it go away. Add enough other people with even unlikely liability but with insurance, they can lessen their exposure.

I, also, have had good results from Bollinger, to the extent of their coverage, when working to get coverage for others (I have never needed to file myself, thankfully. They will decline coverage if the umpire (or player) files after the deadline; and they do only cover what they cover. If you understand what they cover, and file timely, they get it done.