View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
That would make the game last just as long as awarding three FTs and the team could only score no more than two points.

MTD, Sr.
I think the purpose of the idea is to discourage teams from fouling at the end of a game that is out of reach. That would cut the game length. In my opinion, 3 points unbalances the game too much to be worthy of consideration. But if they really want to go a route like this, giving the offended team an extra chance to make a second point seems reasonable.

And for the record, I don't think any change is really necessary. "Solution in search of a problem" is probably pretty accurate.

Also, my guess is that this is coming from somebody who watches mostly D-I games that are televised. It's the same people who wanted to shorten the length of football games. The problem isn't the game...it's all the stinking TV timeouts. Before the new NCAA timing rules in football, I was going to D-III games that were over in 2.5 hours. Amazingly, the timing rules were changed and we are still seeing 3.5 hour football games on television. The broadcasters just used the extra time taken from the game to add more commercials.