View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If this is true, than we as officials are doing an extremely poor job officiating. I don't know what happens in the games you work, but in every game I have ever worked or watched, the overwhelming majority of the fouls called are on the defense. One would think that the fouls would at least be evenly split between the offense and defense if the rule book was so one-sided in the defense's favor.
Speaking for HS BB only. I feel the reason we are at less than our level best is twofold.

1. Most HS games (especially boys) are officiated (here away) by older guys who have been around awhile. Older men are way less likely to embrace change, or do things differently. They are also way more likely to have an impact on the younger official. We sit around in our association meetings talking the good talk, and things just naturally go back to the way they were. The state will threaten to not schedule guys in the tournament for this and that, but it never seems to come to fruition.

2. The younger guys who are doing Varsity level contests are excellent in many cases. Their baby faces are their biggest road block. Coaches also talk the big talk about seeing the same guys at the end of the year, yet can't seem to pull the trigger when rating time comes. Conversely, these young officials don’t care about the HS tournament. They are going to camps, fit, athletic, and HS BB is losing many of them to small college BB.

I don't know if we are doing a bad job of officiating the block/charge or not. Rather it seems the block, as in college, is in most cases the easy way out.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.