View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The offensive player had no chance to catch that ball, which he is entitled to provided he doesn't push another player to do so, and avoid contact.
This isn't football, there isn't a process to a catch. What you're advocating has no basis in the rules or any better known calling philosophy that I'm aware of. He possessed the ball in his hands, that is all that is required. Had he fallen down after that he'd be guilty of traveling even though he didn't have a chance to do anything else with the ball.

Quote:
On the other hand, the defender had more than enough opportunity to set himself up in a way to avoid a collision.
But he didn't and wasn't required to by rule. He isn't obligated to avoid a collision, he's obligated to follow the guarding rules which he did.

Quote:
I know the rule book doesn't use fairness, but if I can interpret a rule in a such a way to make things fair... I will.
That's fine but your interpretation runs contrary to the actual rules governing the play. That's a problem.