View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I always viewed the equipment check as a way to possibly eliminate illegal or inappropriate equipment. I never tell the team, as so many umpires do, that "you're all good" or "everything is legal." I'm not there to approve the equipment. I'm there to help screen illegal or inappropriate equipment.

At the coaches' pre-game conference (ground rules) I always ask each coach, "Are all of your players legally and properly equipped and will they remain so for the entirety of the game?"

Nothing will keep your name off of the defendant/respondent list on the law suit. But checking the equipment and in particular asking that question shifts much of the liability to the coach.

Asking the question is also helpful when Mary comes to bat in the second inning and she's wearing illegally jewelry or a helmet that doesn't meet the requirements. Then you can say, "Coach, you assured me prior to the game that your players were legally and properly equipped; so why is #4 wearing a watch; why doesn't #9 have a face mask, etc.?" They very quickly realize that they better get ahold of the situation.