Thread: NCAA Backcourt
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Since I retired for officiating college ball after the 07-08 season, I sometimes do not pay as close attention to detail as I use to. While the NFHS and NCAA wording of the rule is the same, it seems to me that your play as described is correct under NCAA interpretation and incorrect under NFHS interpretation. It is late and I need to get to bed, but I hope that one of our active college officials will join the discussion.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I am may be incorrect in wanting to believe that there is a difference between the NFHS and NCAA ruling in this play but there is a throw-in play involving the backcourt exception which has a different rulings for NFHS and NCAA. Dang it is heck getting old, LOL.
NCAA Rule 9, Section 13, Art. 10.

After a jump ball or during a throw-in, the player in his front court, who makes the initial touch on the ball while both feet are off the playing court, may be the first to secure control of the ball and land with one or both feet in the back court. It makes no difference if the first foot down was in the front court or back court.