View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 09:34pm
Play through it!!!

NFHS 2-10 Correctable Errors

I just recieved a phone call regarding this situation and thought it would be a good one to post on here if for no other reason than to keep the subject fresh on the mind.

Young kids game, 2 man crew. One newer official and one who is a varsity ref that has been calling ball for about 10 years. Younger official is at trail and vet is at lead. Team A shoots the ball, it hits the back of the rim and bounces up and hits one of the supporting beams of the goal-and then goes in the basket. The trail doesn't blow his whistle and the lead has no idea it hit the support. Team B inbounds the ball immediately and is subsequently trapped just shy of the 3 point line in the backcourt. The coach from team A is raising hell and the scores table blows the horn several times in succession which triggers whistles from both officials. The vet goes to his partner, who doesn't know what is happening-then to the coach from team A who is pleading her case that the ball hit the support and the bucket should not have counted. The vet goes to his partner who acknowledges with 100% certainty that the ball DID in fact hit the support, but that he did not think that there was anything illegal about this so he didn't blow his whistle. If you are the veteran official, what do you do??

The vet quoted rule 2-10 art.3 and removed the points from the books and put the ball in play under the goal for team B.

In talking to various officials I have recieved varying responses regarding this situation, most of them citing rule 2-10 art.5 ref 8-1-however, I always was under the impression that 8-1 was concerning free throws...and this play had no free throws involved at all.

Thoughts?