View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Nevada-
This year I am handling jv boys,varsity girls,and varsity boys books.Doing the prep work early means I can say to my varsity crew that starters & rosters are in well before the start of warm-ups for each game.Also gives me a chance to eat dinner
So from where do you obtain this information so far in advance? How do you know that it is accurate if it doesn't come from a team representative? That would be my concern with you attempting to be prepared and complete the book work early. Otherwise, I admire your effort.

Quote:
Here I think all of our board wants the timeout count in late game situations so they can tell the coaches.
I believe that this is both unnecessary and potentially problematic. I actually track the time-outs in my head during a game or some locations post this info (TOL) on the scoreboard. I understand the value of having awareness of the time-out situation, but it cannot change the official granting a request when properly made. Informing the coaches of how many they have left is not a good practice as it can only lead to a problem when incorrect information is passed. What a mess when the coach who was just told that he had one TO left makes the request and the official grants it only to be informed that the team really was out! The officials should stick to the rule and only inform the team when it uses its last time-out.

Quote:
The_Rookie-my 8th year as an official scorer and have never been a part of a CE situation (knock on wood). I have however had two book T's in the last 3 years involving number changes not communicated to me by coaches.
So I must ask if this has to do with your early prep work and the source of your information on a team's names and numbers. Btw it is still a T to change a number, even if the coach informs the scorer, if it is after the 10-minute mark, unless there is some circumstance such as a torn or bloody jersey which allows for it. I'm sure that you know that.

Quote:
Nevada-you're not a fan of the verbal warning on fouls 6 & 9? Our people love it when the scorer does this.I think it shows that the scorer is engaged in the game in front of them and not off in la la land staring into the ceiling.
Depends upon exactly what the scorer says, but in general in not a fan or that practice. I can see for myself on the scoreboard that it is team foul six or nine. I don't like it when partners, trying to be helpful, signal 1-1 on the next one as I prepare to administer a throw-in or the first of two FTs for a shooting foul. That is confusing and makes me pause and check the foul count before continuing.
I would much rather my partner either wait until the next dead ball or say "that's six [nine]" than "1-1 down here" or "1-1 on this end" as most people don't even state "next time." So perhaps a scorer saying "that's six" or "that's nine" could be helpful, but most gyms have a PA announcer say that anyway.

No offense intended, but sometimes less is more.