Thread: Camp Feedback
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

So, at in 95-96, There were 2 NCAA D1 Men's officials, 1 future NBA official, 2 HS Officials, 3 State Commissioners/Directors, 2 Coaches, and one unknown. It's certainly possible I've missed some of the credentials for some of them too. I couldn't tell the background of the state commissioners. They may have been coaches, officials, or neither. Even if they (and the unknown) were all coaches, that would make it 5 officials to 6 others on the committee.
Who is on there now? What is the breakdown now? There are currently 12 committee members on the board. I know the editor is a D1 Women' Official, Mary Struckoff (from Illinois). Marty Hickman is from the State of Illinois and the IHSA Executive Director and is not an official in basketball. Maybe Hickman has officiated in the past, but he is not know in our state for that. Now I am sure that there are officials on the board other than Mary Struckoff, but I see you missed the point. Because the entire board are not officials. You have coaches and administrators (that might have never played the game) making decisions on what is a good rule or what is not a good rule or the wording of the rules. Let us say for argument sake you have only 4 officials on the current board. That leaves 8 committee members that are not officials. So any vote, the officials can be out voted for any changes easily (if we use the hypothetical break down). And just because you have some officials on the board, does not mean that every situation is made in the best interest of the folks that have to actually enforce the rules. In my state alone we have administrators making decisions that officials have almost no imput on and it affects us the most. We do have an Official's Advisory Committee, but any suggesting has to go thru an AD's Committee and a Coaching Committee to have something pass. And they only allow imput from one official from a specific sport. Basketball can have different concerns then Football, but that is not the set up. How long have officials been doing the "kick violation" mechanic, and just now this is being brought in as a mechanic? That alone tells me that there is some disconnect with what is done "in the field" than what is going on in these meetings. I can hardly find an official that advocates "birddogging" for all fouls, but for some reason we still have to do it according to NF rules and mechanics.

If you were to even look at the NCAA Men's and Women's Committees, can you tell me how many officials are present?

I have never said there are abosolutely, no officials on the committee. But officials in my opinion cannot be making decisions with one or two members. If the majority of those are not officials, then officials are not making the decisions. They might have imput, they might have a voice, but if the majority does not want to listen to them, they do not have to. I have been on committees as a representative of a group and was easily out voted because of I no one cared about the faction I was representing.

Peace