Thread: Long Switch
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the text of an email sent to all officials in our state recently:

Quote:
The final note is on the 3 man mechanic change that involve the lead official calling a foul in the backcourt with no free throws.
The explanation from the NFHS regarding when this issue is below:
NFHS this season made a three-person mechanics change that involves the lead official calling a foul with the ball going from the backcourt to frontcourt with no free throws. With the change, the lead reports the foul and then stays tableside as the new lead or center.
However, there has been some uncertainty by some officials whether or not the new trail should switch when a foul is called in the backcourt going to the frontcourt in a three-person crew. NFHS recently confirmed that mechanic remains the same as in the past and there is no switch. The trail reports the foul and then returns to administer the throw-in. That means, that once team B has secured the ball and a count has started (meaning the former lead is the new trail), you will not switch but simply report the foul and move back to the trail as in previous seasons.

For example, if A4 rebounds B2’s field-goal attempt, A4 starts to dribble the ball and the new trail calls a foul on B3 near the basket, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in nearest the spot of the foul. If A2 makes a basket and the new trail calls a foul on A1 after B3 catches the throw-in pass near the endline, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.
To me, this means that on any foul that happens before Team B secures the steal/rebound, etc, you switch and the Lead stays table side. So if the Lead has an illegal screen, rebounding foul, or charge, he will go to the table and stay there.

If I got to make the mechanics, I would have the calling official go opposite table like NCAAM mechanics. Just seems a lot easier that way.