View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I guess the problem I have with this is that, although difficult, this play could happen (I've seen it in a flag football game) and it just seems outside the spirit of the rules. The potential for gaining a lot of yardage on this play is quite real...

Football is like the stock market. A risky venture can lead to huge gains or devastating losses. I doubt many teams would design a play like this due to the difficulty in executing it. This is more likely going to be a "made-up-on-the-spot" type play and it is within the current rules.

Here is a play that actually happened in the NCAA. A1 throws a pass to A2 near the sideline. A2 (who is well beyond the line of scrimmage) jumps high to catch the ball. After he secures the ball but before he lands, he pitches the ball forward to teammate A3. Legal or illegal?

The NCAA ruled this a legal play (albeit, after the fact). I realize we aren't talking NCAA rules, but they have similar rules for "catching" the ball, possession, etc.

. . . or a short first down . . .

I think a team is more likely to use a hard count or a traditional run play in short yardage situations. It would be foolish to CALL this play in those situations. But if a team can successfully execute it, why punish them?

and it seems like a team would be "cheating" within the rules.

Is there any room for interpretation of the words "striking" or "slapping" in the definition of batting? Does anyone else feel like this SHOULD be batting, although it doesn't fit in the definition and that maybe the definition of illegal batting could be updated?

Maybe to: an intentional act that advances a backwards pass towards the opponent's goal line. (or something along those lines that removes the specificity of "slapping" or "striking" with the "arm" or "hand"

I know you understand this, but batting isn't illegal simply because it moves the ball towards an opponent's goal line. Think about a player who fumbles the ball, and instead of trying to pick it up, he bats the ball out of bounds (either direction). By changing the batting rule, we could alter other rules in the book.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think a team who executes a difficult play successfully should be penalized. They aren't cheating or circumventing a rule. Again, just my two cents. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.