Thread: Camp Feedback
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 08:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
That fits my definition of a "rulebook official" even though I hate that term because it implies that knowing the rules like a scholar might somehow be bad.

Z
The additional point that many people try to make, is that there is nothing wrong with knowing the rules, but it is the way you apply them. The rules are created by people that do not have to enforce them. That is why we have POEs with "moving screen" language as the justification to call more "illegal screens." Because if officials were making and writing the rules, we might not have 20 changes every year and possibly more common sense in the use of mechanics. I do not know about you, but when I call a game I am only calling basic fouls and violations. There is not a lot of complexity in fouls that I or my partners have to mull over to figure out what to do next. If as an official you are calling things no one understands, then that is what I call a "rulebook official." Do not get me wrong either, if something really obvious happens, call it. But if you are calling a T every other game using Rule 10-3-12, like I did my first year, all because I read the and remembered this stupid rule, then you will cause problems for yourself. I spent more time trying to explain the rule than getting acceptance on the call. So I was told and still do everything in my ability to avoid this call by using preventative officiating. I do not think I have had to make this call since my second year.

Peace