Thread: Camp Feedback
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 18, 2003, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

If me and my partner notice that we're starting to get a few "3-in-the-key" calls, we'll talk through our whistles to them out (you'd have to assume some low quality ball in that sitch). If that doesn't work, we'll tell the coaches to help us out. If that doesn't work, we must be in the twilight zone. The reason I mentioned 3-in-the-key as an example is from something I saw once. In my second year of officiating, I went to a ref camp put on by our state officials assoc. My partner in one game was even greener than me and he must have called 20 3-in-the-keys in one frosh level game. After the game, the evaluators tried to explain to him some ways he could have avoided doing that. The green official kept saying, "but they were in there too long each time." Yes, they were in the key too long, but did it help the game or were they necessary? That fits my definition of a "rulebook official" even though I hate that term because it implies that knowing the rules like a scholar might somehow be bad.

Z