View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I wasn't sure if intentionally fumbling the ball forward was an NFHS foul or not, so that takes care of that. And I agree that you can't fumble without having possession, and we definitely don't have possession here.

I guess the problem I have with this is that, although difficult, this play could happen (I've seen it in a flag football game) and it just seems outside the spirit of the rules. The potential for gaining a lot of yardage on this play is quite real, or a short first down, and it seems like a team would be "cheating" within the rules.

Is there any room for interpretation of the words "striking" or "slapping" in the definition of batting? Does anyone else feel like this SHOULD be batting, although it doesn't fit in the definition and that maybe the definition of illegal batting could be updated?

Maybe to: an intentional act that advances a backwards pass towards the opponent's goal line. (or something along those lines that removes the specificity of "slapping" or "striking" with the "arm" or "hand"