View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I would add ...

JR:

"The principle of a "legal guarding position" doesn't really have anything to do with this play.It's more about who is *initiating* the illegal contact."

Yes!

RiPA:

"However, if B1 jumps to a point, and A1 alters his path or initiates a new path to get to B1's landing point before B1 lands, I have a foul on A1. **To say anything different would make it legal to undercut anyone at any time.**"

YES!!! That's the point! Defenders could never jump
anywhere outside their "vertical plane" without the
offense having license to undercut them. Can you
imagine a game where the defense had to always stop before
jumping to insure they were jumping inside their vertical
plane? It's absurd.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
A1 takes a shot. B1 is somewhat out of position to get the rebound and jumps from the side of the basket to the middle of the basket. While B1 is airborn, A1 moves to the spot where B1 is going to land to pull down the rebound. B1 lands on A1. Who fouled?
I'd call the foul on A1.If A1 isn't in B1's path when B1 jumps for the rebound,I honestly can't think of any way that B1 should be responsible for any contact that might occur before he lands.It's just not reasonable to expect a player to have to change directions in mid-air when there wasn't anyone in front of them when they initially jumped.This is another play similar to the one that Joe was expounding on previously.The principle of a "legal guarding position" doesn't really have anything to do with this play.It's more about who is initiating the illegal contact.

Btw,I thought that Camron made some excellent points above,also.
If A1 is already in a path and B1 jumps to block the path but does not come down before the A1 gets to the point, foul on B1. However, if B1 jumps to a point, and A1 alters his path or initiates a new path to get to B1's landing point before B1 lands, I have a foul on A1. To say anything different would make it legal to undercut anyone at any time. [/B]