View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:13pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You know this from your experiences dunking that way in games, or it's just your opinion?
I feel like Billy Hoyle in White Men Can't Jump getting called out because I can't dunk. Have I ever dunked on a 10 foot goal in a game? No. Have I played many of no foul rules on an 8 foot goal whose sole purpose was to dunk? Sure. Did we grasp and or hang on the rim? Almost all the time however it was because it was cool and not to prevent injury in most cases. I'm not saying that one never needs to grab the rim. I'm saying that in 90%+ of dunk they could never grasp the rim, including running one foot take off two hand dunks.

In the clip in question not only did he never have to grasp the rim for safety but he actually knocked himself off balance by pulling his knees up in the first place.

I'm not even saying they should call it different. I wouldn't care if the rule allowed them to hand up their as long as they want. However the way the rule is currently worded to say "grasp either basket at any time during the game to prevent injury" is not he way it is enforced. In most instances they never need to grasp the rim yet are allowed to.

This guy seems to throw it down without grasping the rim. Of course he was the man.